Free School Lunches
Applying for Free School Meals
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you are in receipt of any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1st April 2018, your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Children who get paid these benefits directly (instead of through a parent or carer) can also get free school meals.
If your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2022.